Home Forums Horizons Adventure While In Transit

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Terri 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

fractalform
    Keymaster

The primary goal of adventure in Horizons will be to acquire a ship and travel out into space, to parts unknown and undiscovered. The motivations for this goal are up to the player. They could be to discover new life, end an interplanetary conflict (or start one), explore stellar phenomena, find habitable worlds, offer transport for corporate or civilian interests, become a corporate or civilian messenger, catalog drift points, lead a colonial ship to a new home, mine distant asteroids, find obscure, lucrative resources, expand the ICN into remote locations, even claim whole systems under the authority of one’s own law. Whatever the motivation, achieving the primary goal of the game will require earning and/or gathering resources and prominence through quests that begin in an adventurer’s starting area. 

Each adventurer will start the game having spent at least some time on a ship and on a planet or starport as part of their professional career. Once the adventurer sets out on their own, the resources of the corporation that had previously employed them will no longer be at their disposal, and thus the adventurer will need to find out how to make their own way. 

After gaining prominence and wealth, adventurers will likely find themselves in a situation where they can purchase a ship, or perhaps use one in the name of corporate interests, or even steal one. The most plentiful and accessible ships are typically smaller and over time adventurers can upgrade their ship components and sell ships to purchase larger ones. Larger ships require crews of their own; the largest ships operate like small towns under the guidance of the adventurer or adventurers who command their course. 

So, not only is travel a means to gather resources and get from point A to B in Horizons, I want ship travel to feel like its own dynamic experience. I’m developing procedural ways to treat (especially mid- and large-sized) ship travel similarly to the way that adventurers might interact in settlements. There should be a series of things to explore, fight, repair, test, develop, investigate, perform, play, and so on. Intervals of travel also have the potential to reveal drift points that adventurers can decide to traverse, and crews might become more resistant over time to deviating from any initial course. 

With all that in mind, what sorts of activities do you think would take place on a ship that would contribute to character development and help pass the time while traveling vast distances during space exploration? Especially larger ships should have the potential for numerous NPC interactions, even mysteries, engineering developments, conspiracies, thefts, and other curiosities that would require adventurers to intervene while traversing distances.  

Terri

I can only imagine a speck of the infinite possibilities of sharing a confined space of some kind with strangers on who you depend for your survival. One thing I’d love to explore further is how people deal with health concerns- like viral/venereal outbreaks in such a confined space- do you isolate that person completely, jettison them (hah), or do you decide to create an inoculation and mandate its dispersal to all organic crew members? What are the medical limitations? Do small crews typically shell out the cash to hire a medical doctor, or do they make due with first aid kits and hope for the best? Cancers due to radiation caused by exploding stars? How do people reproduce- is it frowned upon or encouraged with family planning packages for crew members? What kind of space contraceptives exist (space condoms, if you will)? Are there technological viruses to be concerned about for non-organic crew members, and if so, how are they transferred/treated? Do you have robo-doctors, specifically for your synthetic crew members? How do you treat mental health needs? Oh my god how. That would be fantastic. An onboard psychologist, or a simulated therapist? Haaaah oh and you would need one that is culturally competent- enough to deal with possible existential crises in synthetic crew members and the specific mental/emotional needs of mutated crew members, for example. One size will not fit all. Don’t even start with the fascinating scenarios that arise with multiple cultures coexisting together in one place. Specifically stereotypes and prejudices (positive and negative). That would be ENDLESS FUN.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Terri.

Terri

Oooh, another thing I love is passengers who are solely there to commute from one end of the galaxy to another. That leaves endless cycling of possible NPC/PC interactions. Who are they and where are they going? Why did they choose to travel with your crew instead of using some other mode of travel?

Oh and I love the idea of relatively harmless but none-the-less insistent space nuisances, a la tribbles or space barnacles.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.